What? Me Paint? Why?

Why indeed! I decided to create a blog dedicated to nothing but tutorials. Tutorials are a great help to someone working on their hobby, and I hope this small corner of the internet becomes a source of help and inspiration to others. If you wish to contribute to this blog, email me your article/tutorial and Ill be sure to put it up and share it with the hobby community. (paintbard@hotmail.com)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bone Armour Tutorial by:Elazar The Glorified

A tutorial by Elazar the Glorified
How To Paint A Devotee - Bone Armour Tutorial

I was asked on Warseer to do a step-by-step of how I paint the bone coloured armour on my Warriors of Chaos. I wasn't going to post it on here but then I thought it could be quite handy for others, it doesn't have to be for WoC. With the multitude of 40k painters out there (I think most of my blog followers are 40k gamers first and foremost) it might be of use. Maybe for a darker, grittier Deathwing etc. I originally intended the colour scheme for Chaos Space Marines way back when and still think it'd look awesome on them.


Step 1: Undercoat in Khemri Brown. Mine is very watered down so it takes 2 coats but gives a nice smooth finish.

Step 2: A drybrush of Bleached Bone. It's a fairly heavy drybrush to make sure there's plenty of paint coverage but not so much paint that it no longer has that dusty look as you apply it.

Step 3: Gryphonne Sepia wash. There's nothing fancy about this, just a wash all over the armour. As this is a rank and file mini I applied a second wash once the first had dried (second picture). For a character I'd maybe only do the one wash to keep the colour a little brighter.

Step 4: Gryphonne Sepia is used again but this time for shading instead of to alter the colour. Painted into all the recessed areas of the armour. For example: Under the cheek ridges of the helmet, around rivets, the grooves in the knee armour, where the armour meets the belt, animal skull, lapel bits, shoulders around the cloak, where the extension of the helmet that holds the horns joins joins the helmet proper. Any areas that are next to a raised edge need to be shaded and obvious areas where there'd be less light such as the back of the helmet below the level of the cloak.

Step 5: Edge highlight. Bleached Bone again here. On all the raised areas and edges of armour plates. Normally I wouldn't do this until I had painted the rest of the mini as I can easily correct any mistakes from earlier at this stage.

There you go, not a brilliant tutorial as I rushed this Warrior a little but I hope it's helpful to anybody who is interested. I'm far from a great painter so if anybody has any better methods or just general advice I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment