By Squeek Vermintide @ http://chatteringhorde.blogspot.com/
Grey Seer Stage-by-Stage Painting Guide
completed my first Grey Seer, I posted a few pictures, but wanted to put up a stage-by-stage guide that I hope other new Skaven players will find useful. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of all the stages (one example being after layers but before washes...) but I think you'll get the general idea!
So here we go...
(scroll down for finished pics at the end...)
- File down or carefully cut away any flash from the model.
- Glue to base.
2. 1st Basing.
- Paint watered-down PVA glue to the base.
- Dip base into modelling sand
- Shake away excess and leave to dry
- Undercoat whole model Chaos Black (I use GW Spray paint.)
4. Drybrush base.
- Calthan Brown.
- Snakebite Leather
Apply base colours to all parts of the model.
- Boltgun Metal: Sword, helmet, base of staff.
- Tallarn Flesh: Hands, tail, feet.
- Dwarf Bronze: Staff symbol, guard on sword, talisman on chain, and chain.
- Bleached Bone: Skull on staff, horns on helmet, nails on hands/ feet, scrolls.
- Dark Angels Green: Sigil on sword, warpstone studs on robes.
- Fortress Grey: Fur.
- Bestial Brown: Staff, belt.
- Snakebite Leather: Leather pouch on belt, leather pouch on staff.
- Chainmail: Bolts on staff symbol.
6. Layers. (Before washes)
- Robes: Codex Grey/ Fortress Grey(50/50 Mix), then Codex Grey Fortress Grey (25/75 mix) and finally Fortress Grey with some Skull White (75/15 mix).
- Leather/ Leather Pouches: Snakehide Leather/ Skull White (50/50 mix)
- Skulls: Skull White over Bleached Bone.
- Skin, Tail/ Ears: Ogryn Flesh.
- Everything else(!): Devlan Mud.
8. Highlights. (After washes)
- Armour/ weapon edges (e.g. Helmet): Chainmail.
- Nails on staff symbol: Mithril Silver.
- Skull: Bleached Bone/ Skull White (50/50 mix)
- Skin/ Tail/ Ears: Tallarn Flesh/ Dwarf Flesh (50/50 mix)
- Warpstone: Snot Green/ Skull White (75/25 mix) then building up...Snot Green/ Skull White (50/50 mix), Snot Green/ Skull White (25/75)
- Skin (Hands, Feet etc.): Dwarf Flesh/ Tallarn Flesh (50/50 mix) and/ or Dwarf Flesh/ Elf Flesh (50/50 mix)
- Staff symbol: Dwarf Bronze.
- Robes: Fortress Grey.
- Staff: Bestial Brown/ Skull White (75/25 mix)
8. Final Basing
In this case, I decided not to add anything to the base other than the colours added previously, but if you wanted to...
- Dab on a couple of spots of PVA glue.
- Dip in flock.
- Shake away excess and leave to dry.
...or not QUITE done, because following advice and comments on other models, I decided to have a go at adding some verdigris to the Dwarf Bronze staff symbol. I had tried this before and so followed the same method.
9. Verdigris Wash.
- Heavily water down ICE BLUE (10 parts water to 1 part Ice Blue.) You'll need to experiment to find the right balance of water/ paint...
- Paint or dab onto the bronze symbol, so wash gathers in recesses or raised areas. Feel free to apply quite heavily, but be careful it doesn't drip down the staff.
- Using a rolled up piece of tissue paper (so it has a point) carefully dab or drain away wash from flat surfaces, leaving the wash gathered around raised areas or in recesses.
The finished product.